Monday, June 7, 2010

How to fix a flat on the road 101



Hello to anyone who actually reads this blog.
I headed out for a short 45 minute ride this morning (after sleeping in). Melissa stayed home today passing on another Monday morning ride with me so I was on my own this morning. I headed down toward Snow Hill again anticipating going 22:30 and turning around but by that point I was so close to Snow Hill I decided to go all the way down to Lenoir Community College where Melissa I biked to last week Monday. I made it down in just over 24 minutes averaging 22.4 mph. WooHoo! What a great ride. I took a short water break and headed back home. My rear tire seemed low and I would shortly realize the importance of testing the tires and topping them off BEFORE heading out on a ride. I decided to stop and top off the tire with my new CO2 cartridge. I assembled the device and filled the tire and everything went well until suddenly the tube went BAM!!!! and now I had to replace the tube(first time doing this on the side of the road). Now frustrated with myself after this rookie mistke, and after changing Eli's tire this last week I looked down at the tire and realized I didn't have the wrench needed to remove the wheel so I messaged Melissa (my princess in a shining white dress) to come rescue me. Shortly after texting her I had a moment of clarity and realized that I have quick release on my road bike and didn't need a wrench (Duh!) so I began the process. As I finished the repair and mounted the tire, she and Eli arrived so I loaded the bike into the van and we drove home. We arrived to breakfast on the table and sat down for a great breakfast of scrambled eggs, goetta and blueberry muffins.
Final ride results: 11 miles, 20.1 avg, 32:50
Bile miles this week: 11 miles
Bike miles this month: 40.8 miles

Until the next ride, run or swim...

1 comment:

  1. Keep em' spinning, Steve! You will get better at dealing with flats and minor road repairs. Think of yourself as your own pit crew!

    ReplyDelete

Followers