Saturday, April 11, 2009

Geocache or Bust


I am proud to say that I am a Geocache enthusiast. Wikipedia describes Geocaching as an outdoor treasure-hunting game in which the participants use a Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver or other navigational techniques to hide and seek containers (called "geocaches" or "caches") anywhere in the world. A typical cache is a small waterproof container (usually a tupperware or ammo box) containing a logbook and "treasure," usually toys or trinkets of little value.
Currently over 823,000 geocaches are registered on various websites devoted to the pastime. Geocaches are currently placed in over 100 countries around the world and on all seven continents, including Antarctica.[1]


This is a hobby which I personally enjoy and have also been able to enjoy with my family. The following is a short tribute of the first ever "cache" provided by Dave Ulmer of Beavercreek, Oregon.[3] The location was posted on the Usenet newsgroup sci.geo.satellite-nav[4] as 45°17.460′N 122°24.800′W / 45.291°N 122.413333°W / 45.291; -122.413333. By May 6, 2000, it had been found twice and logged once (by Mike Teague of Vancouver, Washington). According to Dave Ulmer's message, the original stash was a black plastic bucket buried most of the way in the ground and contained software, videos, books, food, money, and a slingshot. The site is now now identified with a historical marker.

7 comments:

  1. Very interesting Steve. I was curious how this all got started. Again, glad to see you finally took the blogging plunge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Pretty cool, Steve. While I will not be adding this as a hobby, I do look forward to making a stop or two on our man trip to Memphis.

    PS: I love your writing style!

    ReplyDelete
  3. to The Swell Guy...
    Thanks for the compliment on the writing style... I'll forward on to my writers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather - it's a MAN trip. You clearly don't qualify!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Geocashing rocks! But I don't have a GPS or I would go :(
    I only get to go when someone takes me ( or if I get dad to get . Hey I May try that :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry it's supposed to say or if I can get dad to by 1

    ReplyDelete

Followers