Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Team Tri-NC

The month-long celebration known as the Festival of Flowers here in Greenwood begins in June; that’s less than 2 weeks away. For years enjoyed seeing our community transform as gardens are prepared throughout May and the activities begin the first weekend of June. However, this year the Festival of Flowers is impacting me personally. I am participating in the triathlon on Sunday, June 7 as a member of a relay team “Tri-NC” and my portion will be the .93 mile swim. During my journey to lose weight and get physically fit I have come to enjoy the endurance sport of triathlons. I completed my first sprint triathlon of the season (300 yd swim, 12.4 mile bike & 5k run) last month in a personal best time of 1:32:04. I completed the same tri back in 2007 in 1:45:23. This international distance (1500 meter swim, 24 mile bike & 10k run) triathlon is more than I care to “take on” alone right now so I’ve recruited some team members for the cycling (The Swell Guy) and running portions. Having grown up with a pool in my back yard and swimming in lakes throughout my life, I’m not afraid of the water; however, this upcoming event does have me nervous. There’s just something about swimming with a couple hundred other people that has me wondering, perhaps it’s just because I’ve never done anything like this. My friend Heather has also been helping me prepare with swimming plans and tips to make sure I’m ready. I’ll be sure to let you know now Team Tri-NC does and keep you updated on my other upcoming events.

5 comments:

  1. Hey, who wrote this. It doesn't sound a thing like what Steve would write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I am looking forward to being "the middle man", but I still wish we were named "Team WWSD?".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there is some hijinx going on here. This probably isn't even Steve's writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys would know. :)
    btw way, there's a typo that's been bugging me in the second sentence. It should read... "For years I have enjoyed..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at that counter - awesome views!!

    ReplyDelete

Followers